Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Peace in the Storm

Last year my husband and I went on a weeklong backpacking trip in the Colorado Mountains. We were part of a group of 14 people. Some, like my husband and I, had backpacked before. Others had not. This was, however, the first time my husband and I had backpacked in the Rocky Mountains. Oh, and one note of interest...I was the only female on the trip! That was just fine, though, because it was a great group of guys, and I think I was able to "hold my own!" I took a journal with me on that trip. I thought I would share my journal entry from our first day hike. It follows:

August 2, 2006

As I pant to catch my breath in the oxygen-deprived air, I keep hearing the words, "Let's just take it easy on our first day" play again and again in my mind. So these are the Rocky Mountains, eh? As a veteran hiker of the smaller, rounder, Smoky Mountains I have been continually in awe of these taller, rougher surroundings. We got in to the mountains on Sunday. We've got a nice basecamp bordering a beautiful meadow that is generously sprinkled with wildflowers of every color. A short distance away is a musical stream that provides us with lots of icy, cold drinking water.

After we set up camp Sunday afternoon, the guys quickly got to work establishing a warm, cheery campfire. By the way, did I mention that I'm traveling with 13 males? That is a whole other experience in and of itself! After a late dinner around the fire that night, talk turned to what we should do the next day -- our first full day in these gorgeous mountains. "Let's take it easy," one of the guys said. We all agreed since we were struggling with the altitude in just walking around our camp. A plan was set to hike up to Lake Ann, a high mountain lake above timberline. Monday morning I awoke and exited my tent to drink in a view that still, to this day, takes my breath away. We are in a basin bordered by mountains on all sides. In front of me are the peaks called "Three Apostles." They are lined up in a row -- devoid of any trees --just jagged, pointed peaks dusted with snow here and there. The white, fluffy clouds and deep, blue sky are a magnificent backdrop to these impressive peaks. To my right, across the meadow, is our mountain stream that separates us from another mountain -- of which I don't know the name. But on this mountain we watched a few elk and deer grazing high on the steep slope the night before. When I look behind me, the stunning view of mountains and blue sky continues. To my left is giant Mt. Huron. It has a bare, rocky top above a very distinct timberline. It is enormous. It is hard to really grasp how big these mountains are. They are giants; however, you still get the impression they are only a short distance away.

The whole group gathered after breakfast and set out for Lake Ann. I think we were all shocked to discover just how difficult it is to breathe up here. I found myself having plenty of energy and not feeling challenged in terms of muscle strength. It was just very, very difficult to catch my breath! The hike up took a lot longer than we anticipated, and more than once I grew discouraged because my body was ready to go, but my lungs couldn't compensate for the thin air. However, once we reached Lake Ann, the hard work completely paid off! The beauty of Lake Ann and the views you see from her shore are indescribable. I fear even pictures won't do her justice. Partly, I think, because some of her beauty comes from the effort we had to put forth to even see her. It was a great reward for a job well done.At the lake some of the guys tried their hand at fishing. Others explored the shores while yet others just sat in wonder (and exhaustion!). Not long after we arrived at the lake, we felt a few tentative raindrops. Just a gentle mist that grew a little stronger after a bit. Eventually the drops were heavy enough that they peppered the surface of the lake rather steadily. Just as the thought of descending the mountain entered my brain a very strong wall of wind rushed onto us from over the mountain. "I'm going back," I yelled at my husband, and I was answered from the sky with a crack of lightning. Rain began to pour down, lightning lit up the sky, and the thunder echoed above us in a frightening and exhilarating performance. I may have been the last one to reach Lake Ann, but I was one of the first ones out...I believe that's called LIFO!

We scrambled down that trail amidst the noise and rain of the thunderstorm at a speed I didn't think was possible. This time there were no stops to catch our breath. In me, at least, I think the adrenaline was running so strong I barely noticed the previous struggles I'd had in breathing. As frightening as being caught on an exposed mountain in a storm can be, if anyone had taken time to glance at my face they would have seen a huge grin. I couldn't help it. I felt as if I was walking that trail with God, Himself. I had prayed for safety, and I had received the most awesome peace that only my Creator could give me. In that hike, I was reminded of how very tiny I am in comparison to God and this beautiful world He created. And, more importantly, I was reminded of how powerful our God is and how He is in control. We were either going to make it down safely or we weren't. Either way, we were in God's hands -- and always are.

I had a great time on that first hike -- more so on the race down than on the crawl up. I will never forget how the weather changed in a mere second. Or how my body would involuntarily jump every time a deafening crack of thunder exploded above us. And I will always remember the peace and joy I felt in the midst of it -- on my walk with God.

No comments: